Support for UGs with No Home Base in Hong Kong

Moving to a new city can be both challenging and rewarding, and we are here to help you. Find some preliminary information below, and don't forget to get in touch if you have further questions.


Estimated Cost of Living Outside Campus in 2023-24

  HK$ per person per month
Rent for Off-Campus Accommodation $4,000 - 6,000 *
Utilities $550 - 600 @
Food $3,800 ^
Local Transportation $400
Personal Miscellaneous $1,200 #
Total: $9,950 - 12,000


* includes a bed space in a shared apartment in the Tseung Kwan O areas or in a village house in the Tai Po Tsai area; more examples of rental cost in other districts are available here
@  generally includes shared electricity, water, Internet & cleaning service (if applicable)
^ based on the average cost of the catering facilities available on campus; assuming 3 meals per day
# includes expenses on academic supplies, entertainment, household & other personal items
The above estimates are for reference only. The actual amount required varies upon individuals' lifestyles and preferences.


Off-Campus Information & Assistance in Search of Off-Campus Accommodation

The Off-Campus Housing Section (OCHS) of SHRL provides general assistance to HKUST students in search for off-campus accommodation.
Students who wish to obtain self-arranged off-campus accommodation information such as residential districts near HKUST, different housing options, real estate agent information and signing tenancy agreements, or to seek any advice on living off-campus are welcomed to consult our officers of OCHS. More information is available here.




Hong Kong Adventist College (HKAC)

Bed spaces in the HKAC dormitory, managed by HKAC, is available for HKUST students in 2023-24.
For reference, the monthly rented cost in 2023-24 is approximately HK$3,720 (all inclusive) per person per bed space.
Students who are not offered a bed space in the HKUST student halls can consider student residence in HKAC if they are in need for accommodation; applications and allocation are to be handled by SHRL.
Since the bed spaces are limited, priority will be given to undergraduates who are in the waiting list for student accommodation and without home base in Hong Kong. For more information about applying for HKAC, please contact the Student Housing and Residential Life Office.
Information on HKAC is available here.
[location in Google Maps]